From February 7 to 8, we have held the kick-off meeting of Mediafutures, a new H2020 research project in which we we will set up a virtual, European data innovation hub, including funding, mentoring and support for entrepreneurial and creative projects to reshape the media value chain through responsible, innovative uses of data. Our role in this project will be to provide participants of the open calls (startups and artists) with mentorship on advanced data exploitation techniques.
Due to COVID restrictions, we had to meet virtually to cover the usual agenda of a kick-off meeting (i.e., project overall vision, objectives, consortium members, work packages, deliverables, and milestones). However, Alexandra Garatzogianni, coordinator of the project, scheduled a very inspiring talk given by Aurélie Delater, who presented S+T+ARTS, an outstanding initiative of the European Commission that has proven successful in supporting collaborations between artists, scientists, engineers and researchers to develop more creative, inclusive, and sustainable technologies.
In the coming weeks we will be announcing news about our first open call, stay tuned!
MediaFutures will set up a virtual, European data innovation hub, including funding, mentoring and support for entrepreneurial and creative projects to reshape the media value chain through responsible, innovative uses of data. We will:
- explore the critical factors that impact how people engage with bottom-up quality journalism, science education and digital citizenship;
- define a participatory, inclusive innovation programme, leveraging impulses from multiple disciplines, as well as synergies between entrepreneurs and creatives;
- organise a competition addressing pressing technical, economic and societal challenges in the media value chain to identify promising digital entrepreneurs, creatives and data-empowered solutions;
- provide data and experimentation facilities for the winners of this competition to test and nurture their ideas;
- support 51 businesses and 43 artists by solving common concerns around funding and access to mentoring in technical, legal, business, media and sustainability matters; and
- create toolkits and best practices for innovators, creatives, and other stakeholders to achieve greater traction for their citizen-centric initiatives, and empower them to communicate through data in inspiring, informative and engaging ways.
Drawing on the experience of the consortium – ZABALA, ODI and SOTON (instrumental to delivering several flagship Horizon 2020 data incubators); IRCAM (leading the way in publicly funded art-tech-science residencies programmes); EUT and LUH (2 accomplished DIHs and BDVA i-Spaces); NMA (Europe’s largest media accelerator); LUISS (renowned school of journalism and digital startup accelerator); KU Leuven (legal and ethical expert) and DEN (one of Europe’s social innovation pioneers) – we will establish a Europe-wide, virtual data-driven innovation ecosystem, supported and promoted by an international network of 28 organisations that have confirmed their intention to join MediaFutures as members of our stakeholder cluster.