Since the very first year the Decidim project was launched (2016), we have been helding the Metadecidim Annual Conference (Jornades Anuals Metadecidim) as a space for the community to gather, to reflect on the status of the project and to discuss new challenges. This year, the Decidim team decided to transition to a new model of conference focused on the relationship between technology and the challenges of democracy in the network society: Decidim Fest.
Amont the different keynotes, talks, workshops and panels in October 29-31, I contributed to two very exciting sessions. On Wednesday, I had the honour to chair a the panel “Participation in practice (II): public space, data, empowerment” with the following talks:
- Un espacio público digital para la participación ciudadana: el caso del Parlamento francés.
Paula Forteza – Assemblée nationale
- How we failed to make online deliberation tool, experience from sense.tw.
Yun-Chen Chien – g0v.tw
- Teaching municipal open data for community empowerment in on-line and off-line environments. Noel Hidalgo and Kate Nicholson – Beta NYC
- How to increase citizen participation among those with least power.
Sanna Ghotbi – Digidem Lab
Then, on Thursday, I presented my recent research of patterns of online petition signing in the panel “Frontiers of democratic research: deliberation, artificial intelligence, rankings, crowdvocacy” with:
- Decidim and AI in the project “Can we make Decidim intelligent?”
Maite López Sánchez – Universitat de Barcelona
- Disruption ot continuity? Analysis of the participation and deliberation in/on the Decidim platform of the Catalan municipalities.
Rosa Borge – Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Crowdvocacy. The cost of participation — Amplifying democracy by bridging political participation, digital campaigning platforms, and civic crowdfunding. Crossing communities and technologies between Decidim and Goteo.
Olivier Schulbaum – Goteo
- White paper: Decidim: political and technopolitical networks for participatory democracy
Xabier Barandiaran – UPV-EHU